Thursday, May 23, 2013

My "Beaver Lake Rapala" Struck Again!

I went fishing one day this week with an old friend that I hadn't seen in a few years.

We caught bigger fish, but when when I asked him if we should bother with pictures or just catch another one, he wisely decided to catch more.


This was merely his first of the day.

Fifty, or so, fish later I have a few things to say about catching bass:
  • They're not terribly difficult to catch if you know what you're doing (and fish where there's a pile of them).
  • Rapalas = fishing success
  • Life's too short to fish with lures that don't work well, so don't save money and get cheaper fishing lures.
  • A firetiger flavored (colored) Rapala Original Floating Minnow did most of the damage.  (I use that particular one on no other lake.)
  • Jigs and Powerbait caught a few fish.
  • Rapala Shad Raps rounded out most of the fish catching lures.
  • The Lake St. Clair musky guides troll with crankbaits and the only color they focus on the lure's belly: white or yellow.  I wonder why they don't seem to use orange bellied lures.  (Like my Beaver Lake Rapala.)
  • The joys of a used $200 boat that fits in the back of your truck are many.
  • A deep diving Shad Rap can catch fish deep, shallow, or anywhere in between.
  • If I were limited to two bass lures I'd go with a 1/16 oz jig and white Berkley Powergrub and a deep diving Shad Rap.

No comments:

Post a Comment