Tuesday, January 22, 2013

The English Language

English is the language of the world because the British Empire was once very large and also because English is the language of the U.S. which was unquestionably the dominant country in the 20th century. 

This does not mean that the English language is a good language.  It has it good points, such as exactly 26 letters used in all words.  But it also has its bad points.

One of the bad points is that there are three versions of the word there.  For some reason when I proofread a post (I do that on occasion, btw.) I often find that I used the wrong version of there.  Trust me: I know the difference between there, their, and they're.  But for some reason I often use the wrong version until I proofread a post.

Its not just those three words, but they exemplify the fact that the correct use of  the English language does not come easily.  Its probably not the worst language but it does not come naturally.

And please do try and ignore my poor spelling and grammar.  I catch mistakes when I can, but it is undoubtedly my least favorite school subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment