Tuesday, January 8, 2013

If I were president...

If I were president, I would make signing a balanced budget into law my first priority.  I'd do this by declaring that I am going to veto every bill that comes across my desk until we get a balanced budget.  I would take every opportunity to go on tv and declare that we need a balanced budget.  I would spend every day harassing congress until I get a balanced budget.  I would propose several balanced budgets for ways it could be done.

But I would not stop until we got a balanced budget.

If I were a congressman, I would take every speaking opportunity and tv appearance that I could to call for a balanced budget.  I would speak before every bill gets voted on until we get a balanced budget.  I would harass every member of congress until we get a balanced budget.  I would propose several options that include different ways to balance the budget.

I would not stop until we got a balanced budget.

How could the budget be balanced?

We could start by no longer paying for things that the Constitution does not allow federal government interaction on.  See article I section 8.

Where would I cut?

The legitimate sectors for government are:
  1. protect citizens from each other 
  2. protect citizens from foreigners 
  3. provide a judicial system to arbitrate disputes and inter-state disputes.
Sector 1 should be handled by individual states. Sector 2 should be declaring war and making treaties with other governments. Sector 3 means the supreme court and a few lesser courts.

If it is not declaring war, making treaties, or court activities, then the government has no business doing it.

We cannot just outright end Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid but we should phase them out gradually.

If I were president, or a congressman, maybe we'd make some progress towards having a competent, responsible government.

(No I don't plan on running.  We elected, then reelected Obama.  What would be the point.)

No comments:

Post a Comment